Wednesday, September 24, 2008

wouldja?

I'm laying (lying?) in bed this morning... late as usual, as my husband had turned off his alarm clock and promptly fallen back to sleep... and all of a sudden I'm awakened by this giggling and squealing outside my window...

After the initial, 'What in the &#(@^!#&&* ?!?!?!'

I remembered that today is my friend Kellie's daughter Morgan's 16th birthday and her friends were surprising her and taking her out to breakfast at 6 a.m. - hence the giggling, squealing mess that was my alarm this morning.

As I proceeded to bip my husband in the forehead in an attempt to wake him up I started thinking about MY 16th birthday - I remember that my folks bought me a new trumpet case and allowed me to go to the mall with my friends (with no parental involvement - trust me, this was HUGE) - now, mind you, back in 1985 the world was a different place. (and New Hampshire was a different world altogether).

You may have noticed that I italicized the word 'the' before writing the mall - that's because in 1985 there was only ONE mall in the entire state. I remember my birthday was on a Sunday because we were in K's Saab (affectionately known as 'the Slaab') and Bri was attempting to read the Sunday paper with all of the windows and sun roof open while driving down the highway. If I remember correctly the majority of the paper lined I-89 to Manchester....

While thinking about this today, I started poking around in my 'remnants' and found this card - and the photo as well. I'm not that much of a pack-rat but I suppose your 16th birthday is a big deal! Especially when you're in the midst of it. I don't think I'd go back to that time of my life though.... so much drama! It's a time of extremes - Even more dramatic than my four year old on a daily basis - I'm not looking forward to HER teenage years... *sigh*

How about y'all? would you go back to 16 if you could?

No comments:

Post a Comment